Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thursday Tea-Tudor Edition


thursdaytea-new
The Books: I am reading two books today.
The first is The Tudor Age by Jasper Ridley. By chance I was able to snag the British version which means this copy contains extra chapters although it also means that it’s a paperback version, but the way I see it the extra chapters make up for its format.
Rather than this being your standard Tudor bio this reads more like a research book of the Tudor era, customs, pastimes, and such which is the reason I wanted this book. Thankfully the book is light and well composed so while you do get an in-depth look into that era you don’t feel as though you are being lectured by a boring tweed-wearing professor. My only problem with the book is the first section of pictures is in B&W while the second section is colour which makes me wonder if there was a fluke with the first section.
The second book is In a Treacherous Court by Michelle Diener. I read, Keeper of the King’s Secrets (which is the second book in Michelle Diener’s Tudor Series) a few weeks ago without realizing that it was a second book, so I have been eager to get my hands on a copy of this book since I finished the other one.
I am really enjoying this book, even though I know pretty much how it will end. Plus, I am learning so much more about Parker and Susanna (the main characters) that I really didn’t get to find out in the second book. The writing in the book flows off the page so it is a rather quick read. And I am so interested in these characters that I may even break my no e-book rule and buy Dangerous Sanctuary, which is a short story that takes place in-between In a Treacherous Court and Keeper of the King’s Secrets.
The Tea: Henry’s Earl Grey by Steep Show Teas. I received a package of this tea for my birthday a few weeks ago and have been in love with it ever since. Not only is it an Earl Grey tea but it is a tea that was blended in honour of Henry VIII and the package has his picture on it.
The taste is almost like your standard Earl Grey although it has a stronger bergamot taste and it’s a loose leaf which also contributes to the stronger body this tea has.
Do they go together? Of course! Henry VIII reads as well as Henry VIII tea!! Can your tea/reading experience get any better than that? I think not. Plus it’s the perfection combination for me since I have been having Henry VIII withdrawal as of late.
 
Best Wishes & Happy Reading,
wls-1

No comments: