Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Recipe Box: Crock Pot Chicken and Rice



So, I was without an oven for nearly a month thanks it my old one croaking and the new one being on backorder, so I had to get creative and break out the crock pot, which I’ve never actually used before.
My mother makes this amazing baked chicken and rice dish, so I thought I would experiment making this in the crock pot. I honestly had no idea that I could actually cook rice in a crock pot, so I searched around online until I found out that I could indeed make rice in a crock pot.
 
It was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. There’s a few things I’m going to change when I make it again, but it was actually rather good.
 
 
 
Ingredients
 
•3-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
•2 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
•1 large onion, chopped
•1 cup of chopped mushrooms—fresh or canned
•3 c long grain rice, uncooked (not minute rice)
•3 c water
•salt and pepper to taste
 
 

1. Add rice, water, salt and pepper, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms, and onions to your slow cooker and mix together. Place your chicken breasts on the top.
2. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours then turn to low for the remaining 2 hours until chicken and rice are done.
3. Cut up chicken and serve on a bed of rice or mixed together in a bowl.
 
 
A few things I’m going to try next time:
-I’m going to cut down on the amount of rice I use because that was a ton of rice.
-Instead of water, I’m going to use chicken broth to season the rice a bit.
-I’m also going to add in a package of frozen peas and carrots.
 
 
Have you ever made a dish in the crock pot?

No comments: