Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Third Base by Heidi McLaughlin



Since becoming a major league baseball player, I've learned a few hard lessons. Like never give out your home address on social media (sorry, Mom). Never shoot your mouth off without thinking . . . and never, ever let your personal life interfere with your game. But then I saw her - sitting alone behind the enemy dugout, watching me - and I just had to meet this girl.

Now I know that Daisy Robinson has her secrets, but there's something about her that drives me crazy. Maybe it's her innocence, her absolutely amazing knowledge of baseball, or just the fact that she is so unbelievably beautiful. I have to take it slow. Prove to her that the rumors about me are just that - rumors.

Daisy might be my ultimate lifetime win. . . if I don't get hit by the curveball that's coming my way.

Series: Boys of Summer #1 | Publisher: Hachette Audio | Narrator: Alastair Haynesbridge  | Length: 7 hrs and 10 mins | Genre: Contemporary Sports Romance | Source: Publisher| Ratings: 3.5 Cups


Challenges Read For: Blogger Shame

This was my first baseball romance and I had fun with it. Well, most of it.
 
Here’s what’s going on. Ethan’s been known to do things without thinking them through but when he has the usher to bring the woman that caught his eye back to the locker room, he knows exactly what he’s doing. He knows there’s something about Daisy Robinson and he’ll do everything in his power to get to know her and to prove to her what the BoReb blogger said about him was just rumors. Even though he had his eye on her, he never intended to fall for her or her family. But Daisy has secrets that could cause them to implode.
 
Ethan’s kind of great. Yes, he was little rash and done things without thinking, but it happens to the best of us. He was kind, caring, compassionate, and just a good guy. And he went above and beyond to do things for Daisy and her grandpa.
 
Daisy’s not really high on my list of favorites. Yes, I had to applaud her taking care of her grandpa but other than that, there’s nothing. Once a certain tidbit of information was revealed, I lost all respect for Daisy.
 
So, have you ever had a book where you knew something pretty much from the start but hoped you’d be proved wrong? Well, this was that this book. Seriously, I spent the majority of the book saying ‘prove me wrong.’ When I was proved right, I had the whole ‘darn it! Why did you have to prove me right thing?’ going on.
 
For me, the romance was one-sided. I truly felt Ethan falling for Daisy. I don’t feel that Daisy fell for him. I think she used him and there’s no coming back from that. Seriously, Ethan should have walked away from her and never looked back.
 
So, this was my first baseball romance and I enjoyed it. There was a ton of baseball jargon, which I had no clue about, but I found it added to the story and gave it that solid sports romance feel.
 
This was my first time listening to Alastair Haynesbridge and I really enjoyed how he brought this book to life.
 
Overall, I liked Ethan so it was a good thing that the book was told solely from his POV. Daisy just made my skin crawl. People shouldn’t treat people that way, especially since Ethan was so good to her and her grandpa.



 
Boys of Summer Series
Third Base
Home Run
Grand Slam
 
 

 
 
 

No comments: