Friday, December 16, 2011

Thursday Tea

thursdaytea-new

The Book: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Ok, so today did not get off to a good start. I woke-up at 7 am, put the kettle on and about ten minutes later the power went off. Apparently the whole town was without power.  So, I had no heat, no electric and no lights save for the random candles I was able to gather and the book light that is attached to my reading/laptop desk. 

Oddly enough I just put batteries in my book light, so thankfully I had a light to read by. I mean what else was going to do? I could sit there and watch the telly, but I am pretty sure I would receive a visit from the men in white coats leading me to a padded cell.

I received an ARC of Cinder in the post today! Yay! I am a total nerd when it comes to revamped fairy tales although I have never read one that is set in the future with humans, androids, and cyborgs. I just finished chapter one and there seems to be a wealth of stuff going on. First, Cinder is a cyborg apparently with a rather small foot as the first chapter opens with her removing said foot and waiting for her assistant to bring her back an adequate one. We also learn that no one other the baker knows she is a cyborg, although I don’t think well have to worry about the baker as comes down with the plague at the end of the chapter. Chapter one also introduces us to the Prince, who brings his android to Cinder’s shop for repair. 

It is very futuristic, which is exceedingly different from what I normally read but it has caught my attention and now I want to find out what happens.

The Tea:

I started with a cuppa semi-cold Earl Grey thanks to the power going out. Luckily, four hours later, the power is back one, although the power company informed us that we may be experiencing power cuts throughout the day so I now have a pot of Blackberry & Sage sitting on top a warmer.

Do they go together?

I am not really sure what one drinks when reading a futuristic fairy tale. The book does mention the plague and wasn’t tea used as cure for it in the Middle Ages? So, I suppose that in a way any tea would work. 

No comments: