Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Wild Ophelia New Orleans Chili Dark Chocolate Bar--Review

New Orleans Chili Bar
Cayenne Chili Peppers + 70% cacao
Varietal: Louisiana Cayenne Chili Peppers
Where: Bayou Country, Louisiana
Flavor Profile: Dark chocolate with a warm, zinging hot spice and underlying tones of earthy red pepper.
Craft: These vine-ripened cayenne chili peppers are grown in the heart of South Louisiana's Bayou country. They are a distinct variety of the chili pepper family that stems from potato and tomato hybrid perennial shrubs. Also known as the Guinea spice, or cow-horn pepper, this red, hot pepper takes 100 days to age and ferment. High in vitamin A and containing amiable amounts of vitamin C & potassium, these vibrant fruits promote heart health. In creole cooking, this Bayou cayenne chili pepper is ubiquitous.
All Natural, No Preservatives, Gluten Free
Made with renewable energy on 100% recycled paperboard
 
To learn more about Wild Ophelia click HERE
 
 
My Thoughts: This was my first time trying a Wild Ophelia chocolate bar. I have to admit I was both excited and apprehensive about the New Orleans Chili.

While I’m always up for something spicy, I wasn’t sure if this would be overly spicy with the ancho and chipotle chili peppers and cayenne pepper. Surprisingly it was actually a nice mild spicy note that mixed brilliantly with the dark chocolate and cinnamon.
What I liked: I loved the taste—it was exquisite and high quality. I also liked that the product was all-natural, gluten free, preservative free, and made from ingredients that are grown in America.

What I wasn't too crazy about: While I loved the taste, I wished the texture would have been a bit smoother. If you look at the picture I took below, you can see the cinnamon and pepper, and it made the chocolate bar have a bit of a gritty texture to it. It’s wasn’t bad, I just wasn’t expecting it.


 
Will I buy this product again? YES
 
Will I try more Wilde Ophelia Products? YES 
post signature

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Placed this on my to buy list!

Thanks,
Rachel

Lisa said...

I never heard of the company before thanks for bringing it to my attention.