Thursday, March 10, 2016

Necessary Risk by Tara Wyatt



Trained to protect against all danger, a professional bodyguard can provide all the muscle a woman needs. But when their hearts are on the line, love is the riskiest business . . .

 

SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME

 

Former child star Sierra Blake is making a stunning Hollywood comeback-and attracting a scary amount of attention. When her home is vandalized and her safety threatened, she knows it's time to bring in the professionals. But from the moment she sets eyes on her indecently sexy new bodyguard, Sierra's thoughts are anything but professional . . .

 

Few things in this world scare Sean Owens-until he realizes he's in serious danger of losing his heart to his new client. No matter how much he wants to, Sean won't let his feelings for the smart and gorgeous Sierra get in the way of doing his job. Because as the attacks against her escalate, crossing the line between business and pleasure could get them both killed.

 

Series: Bodyguard Series #1 | Publisher: Forever | Release Date 2/25/2016: | Genre: Contemporary Romance | Source: Publisher | Rating: DNF



This one caught my attention because I have a thing for bodyguard romances. It’s the whole danger-brings-them-together thing that I find appealing. Although this one just didn’t work for me.
 
So, this one started off on the wrong foot with me. The source of Sierra’s problems stems from her support of Choices—an organization like Planned Parenthood. Nothing turns me off a book more than a character shoving her pro-choice views in my face. Because of this, I couldn’t really connect with Sierra.
 
I tried giving this book a chance, but it wasn’t just the heroine’s pro-choice beliefs that made me disconnect, the book seemed a bit over-described to me. I like a vivid description, it has the potential to bring the book to life, but too much description about every single thing becomes annoying. I also struggled with characters’ over-eager dialogue and actions. Most of the book read like this:
 
He looked up from the police report, anger hardening his features. “They’re messing with you. Trying to scare you.”
 
She took a breath, and her words tumbled out in a rush. “I’d like to hire you, if you—”
 
He cut her off by gently laying a hand on her knee. Warmth radiated outward from where he touched her. “Yes. Absolutely, yes.”
 
Overall, this one wasn’t my cuppa tea. I really wish that her work with Choices would have been mentioned in the blurb because I would have skipped this one.
 


When do you DNF a book?

No comments: