Thursday, December 15, 2016

Audiobook Review: Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts



All Gabriel Bradley wanted was solitude. But when a very pregnant - and very beautiful - woman ended up at his remote cabin during a blizzard, desperate, alone, and on the run, the modern-day Scrooge couldn't turn her away. For Laura brought him the gifts of passion, hope, and life - he needed only the courage to reach for it.

 

Publisher: Brilliance Audio | Narrator: Todd Haberkorn  | Length: 6 hrs and 38 mins | Genre: Contemporary Romance | Source: Publisher | Ratings: Story: 2.5 Cups Performance: 3.5 Cups

 
Challenges Read For: Reading Through Nora Roberts

Have you ever had a book you’re just not sure of? Well, that’s what’s going on here. I mean, it wasn’t a bad book. Unrealistic? Yes. Was I head over heels for it? Nope. Did I enjoy it? Parts of it.
 
The just of the story is that Gabe rescues a pregnant woman from a blizzard. He’s staying at a remote cabin trying to avoid people while dealing with the grief of losing his brother. Laura is running from her ex-in-laws who are determined to take her baby once it’s born to replace the son they lost. So, Laura and Gabe are stuck in the cabin together and soon bond over the birth of her son. Then to protect both Laura and her child, Gabe decides to marry her and take them back to his mansion. Mixed in with all of this is Gabe finally finding inspiration to paint again and Laura questioning everything everyone does and then pouting about it.
 
So, I liked Gabe. He’s sort of broody but mores in the artistic/painter type not the dark-walk-along-the-moors-looking-for-the-ghost-of-your-ex-lover type. He’s a very solid guy and, even though he’s got his own emotional mess to deal with, he’s still willing to step-up and help out Laura and her son.
 
Laura was just down right annoying. I mean, there were times, few and very far between, when I thought that Laura was starting to turn into a likable character but those hopes were quickly dashed by the way she constantly questioned everything that Gabe did or thought. And she would sort of go off for no reason at all. She would come up with these random thoughts then accuse Gabe of doing it. Laura was just too much for me.
 
The romance just wasn’t solid for me. There was an attraction, but I didn’t feel an actual romance developing. To me it seemed that Gabe, while he honestly wanted to protect Laura and her son, it almost seemed as though he fell for her to help him get through his grief. And Laura, I think it was just a matter of finding someone that would help her hide from her ex-in-laws. It never seemed true to me.
 
Overall, this one was just okay for me. It’s not one of her stronger short stories. And I had a few problems with the way everything was just sort of done and dusted in the blink of eye such as legal problems that just disappeared overnight.


I really enjoyed the way Todd Haberkorn narrated the book. It was my first time listening to him and I found his voice to be riveting. And I even enjoyed his female narrations.  What I had trouble with was the audiobook itself. The volume was really low on this one, even with it turned up to the max.



 
 
What’s your favorite Nora Roberts book?

No comments: