Monday, August 20, 2018

The Sexy One by Lauren Blakely

Let me count the ways why falling into forbidden love is not my wisest move:

 

1.She works with me every single day. Did I mention she's gorgeous, sweet, kind, and smart?  

2.She works in my home. Playing with my five-year-old daughter. Teaching my little girl. Cooking for my princess. Which means...  

3.She's the nanny. And that makes her completely off-limits. But it doesn't stop me from wanting her. All of her.  

The other nannies in this city don't call him the Sexy One for nothing. My boss, the amazingly wonderful single father to the girl I take care of every day is ridiculously hot, like movie star levels with those arms, and those eyes, and that body. Not to mention the way he dotes on his little girl melts me all over. But what really makes my knees weak are the times when his gaze lingers on me. In secret. When no one else is around. I can't risk my job for a chance at something more, can I? But I don't know how to resist him much longer either.
 

Publisher: Lauren Blakely Books | Narrators: Andi Arndt, Sebastian York | Length: 5 hrs and 9 mins | Genre: Contemporary Romance | Source: Gift | Ratings: 4 Cups


Challenges Read For:  - Literary Pickers- Saute it
 
My quest to read through Lauren Blakely’s books has finally brought me to The Sexy One. Actually, it was the only one that was downloaded to my phone and I was on a mini-road trip (read I got lost in the boonies looking for a wholesale fabric store that happened to be three counties away from where I ended up).
 
This one was a fast listen that I was hooked on from the start. Simon and Abby were fantastic together—I mean, they were the cutest couple.
 
Here’s what’s going on. Abby’s attracted to Simon, there’s only one little problem, he’s her boss so she’s done her best to tamp down that attraction but, when bonding over a nest of freshly hatched eaglets, she realized that Simon feels it to. Now the only thing they have to worry about is figuring out how to deal with their feelings while she is working as his daughter’s nanny. 
I liked both Simon and Abby. He just exudes good guy charm, he’s a good father, and just an all-around good bloke. She’s such an interesting character, she’s loyal, loving, and so determined. They just meshed so well together.
 
There’s an attraction and chemistry between Simon and Abby and they both have qualms over it. She’s his daughter’s nanny and while she’s not a live-in nanny, she’s there just about every day. Neither want to risk Abby’s relationship with Hayden, Simon’s daughter. I liked how they approached their relationship like the adults they were. I also liked how cautious they were. Their relationship felt very real and believable to me and I couldn’t help cheering a bit when they finally decided to go for it.
 
Okay, so I struggle with exes in romances. Often they bog down the plot with their unnecessary vileness, yet I found Simon’s ex to be rather tolerable. I mean, she wasn’t the most pleasant but she was nowhere near being a cow. I felt that Simon handled her rather well and rather than either starting some massive war, they put Hayden first.
 
Sebastian York rocked the narration for this one. For some reason, I had to warm up to Andi Arndt in this one. Normally, I’m blown away by her narration and she has a knack for making lackluster plots shine but she felt a bit off in this one. I was halfway in before I started enjoying her as Abby.
 
Overall, this one has it all, romance, comedy, a bit of steam, and adults behaving like adults. It’s one of those pick-me-up-and-read-me-now books that left me smiling. I think I could have listened to ten-hours of Simon and Abby and not have grown bored.

No comments: