Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Meet Cute by Helena Hunting

Talk about an embarrassing introduction. On her first day of law school, Kailyn ran - quite literally - into the actor she crushed on as a teenager, ending with him sprawled on top of her. Mortified to discover the Daxton Hughes was also a student in her class, her embarrassment over their meet-cute quickly turned into a friendship she never expected. Of course, she never saw his betrayal coming either...


Now, eight years later, Dax is in her office asking for legal advice. Despite her anger, Kailyn can't help feeling sorry for the devastated man who just became sole guardian to his thirteen-year-old sister. But when her boss gets wind of Kailyn's new celebrity client, there's even more at stake than Dax's custody issues: if she gets Dax to work at their firm, she'll be promoted to partner.

The more time Kailyn spends with Dax and his sister, the more she starts to feel like a family, and the more she realizes the chemistry they had all those years ago is as fresh as ever. But will they be able to forgive the mistakes of the past, or will one betrayal lead to another?

 
Publisher: Hachette Audio | Narrator: Holly Warren, Teddy Hamilton | Length: 9 hours, 18 minutes |  Genre: Contemporary Romance  | Source: Purchased  | Rating: 1 Cup

Challenges Read For:  Lit Pickers  Photo Album -  2019 Try Something New New-to-me Author
 
Everyone has been raving about this one so I thought I’d use one of my Audible credits and give it a go. Yeah, I’m not sure I made the right choice.
 
Here’s what’s going on. When Kailyn runs into her teenage crush (who happened to be a teen actor), she never imagined just how much that one event would change her life. Fast-forward eight years, and her one-time crush now turned enemy is in her law office asking for her help now he’s the guardian of his teenage sister. While Kailyn’s heart goes out to Dax and his sister, she’s not sure she can trust him after the way he betrayed her. As they spend more time together, there’s no way Kailyn can deny she’s falling for Dax. Although this time, Dax is the one who’s betrayed.
 
I know I’m probably going to be the odd one out, but I struggled with this one. The struggle was real, my friends. It had it’s good moments but the rest of it was just a bit meh.
 
I could not make myself care about Kailyn. She’s one of those types that I would go out of my way to avoid. The whole ‘Dax betrayed me’ thing grew old fast and when the betrayal was brought to light, it was one of the stupidest things. Honestly, the thing in question was something she should have been responsible for so the fallout should have been on her shoulders. So that irked me the wrong way that she vilified Dax for something she should have done. She also went eight years holding this crazy grudge without even inquiring about why it happened. Then the way she acted toward Dax when she was working as the advocate for his sister rubbed me the wrong way.
 
Dax was easy to like and care about although I spent most of the book wondering why he was trying to snag Kailyn when he could have done so much better. I also found myself feeling sorry for his sister.
 
The relationship was rather meh. I couldn’t get behind it because it felt like Kailyn was using it just to get Dax to come to firm so she could make partner.
 
There’s this strange custody battle with the aunt that was rather preposterous.
 
I’m not sure the writing style of this one clicked with me. It felt choppy to me and a bit flat.
 
This was my first time listening to Holly Warren and Teddy Hamilton. I actually found that I enjoyed their narration although, at times. Holly Warren came off a bit whiney (that could have been because of the character).
 
Overall, this one just wasn’t for me. The plot was meh, I couldn’t get behind the characters, and the writing didn’t pull me in. I’m not sure if this author is for me.

No comments: