Tuesday, December 3, 2019

The Guilty Ones by Joy Ellis




Jackman’s sister-in-law Sarah disappears to London and throws herself into the river. What drove her to this? She was a woman with a seemingly happy home life and two beloved sons.

 

DI Jackman and DI Evans dig into Sarah’s life. And Jackman realises he knew almost nothing about his sister-in-law’s past.

 

Then, they discover a woman in a neighbouring village died in similar circumstances.

 

What is the connection to a convicted murderer whose family are convinced he is innocent? Who is really pulling the strings?

 


DI Jackman and DS Evans of the Fenland police face a battle against their most dangerous and deadly adversary. And in a case so close to home can Jackman keep his feelings under control?

 
Series: Jackman and Evans Mystery #4 | Publisher: Audible  | Narrator: Richard Armitage | Length: 9 hrs and 35 mins  | Genre: Contemporary Thriller/Mystery | Source: Publisher  | Rating: 3.5 Cups

 
I’ve been enjoying this series but, sadly, the last couple have been a bit hit or miss with me. Although I have to say, I enjoyed this one more than the last.
 
Here’s what’s going on. When Jackman’s sister-in-law commits suicide, Jackman and his partner DS Evans start to wonder if there’s more to the story. When a woman in a neighboring town dies the same way, Jackman and Evans are now convinced something else is at play. Now they’re searching for their most calculating murderer yet. With Jackman so close to the case, will he be able to conduct an accurate investigation.
 
While this one was leaps and bounds better than the last, it still wasn’t up to the level that the previous books in the series were at.
 
There was a lot going on in this one, especially with Jackman. He’s dealing with his sister-in-law’s death, figuring out how to help his parents handle the kids she left behind, helping his brother deal, and overseeing this investigation. He’s also recovering emotionally from the previous case. While he was able to manage, I don’t think he was able to handle everything properly.
 
I really enjoyed the mystery in this one. It was solid, heavy, and had several layers hidden inside. Once I thought I had it figured out, something else popped up and changed my thoughts. Another thing I liked about the mystery in this one was that it had tones of Agatha Christie’s Then There Were None.
 
I’m not going to give any spoilers…but I will say that I wasn’t too satisfied with the way this was handled at the end. I’m hoping the next book will rectify that.
 
As always, Richard Armitage gave a stellar narration.
 
Overall, this one wasn’t as good as it could have been but I do feel like it’s getting back on track of how the first few books were. Still a worthy read with some flaws.




Jackman & Evans Series (recommended listening order)

The Guilty Ones
The Stolen Boys

No comments: