Monday, February 10, 2020

Zack by Sawyer Bennett


Rising star Zack Grantham has been stuck in a downward spiral of grief that has put his career on hold. Back on the road with the Carolina Cold Fury, still crippled by emotional baggage, and now a single dad, he's in need of some serious help with his son. But while the nerdy new nanny wins his son's heart, Zack isn't sure that he's ready for a woman's touch - even after getting a glimpse of the killer curves she's hiding under those baggy clothes.



Kate Francis usually keeps men like Zack at a distance. Though his athlete's body is honed to perfection, he refuses to move on with his life - and besides, he's her boss. Still, the sparks between them are undeniable, tempting Kate to turn their professional relationship into a personal one. But before she makes a power play for Zack's wounded heart, Kate will have to open him up again and show him that love is worth the fight.
Series: Cold Fury Hockey Series #3 | Publisher: Tantor Audio | Genre: Contemporary Romance | Narrators: Cris Dukehart, Graham Halstead | Length: 9 hrs and 2 mins | Source: Publisher, maybe? | Rating: 4 Cups

Challenges Read For:  - Audiobook ChallengeLiterary Pickers : Game Console  
 
A hot hockey star falling for his son’s quirky nanny? Yes, please!
 
Here’s what’s going on. Zack is trying to do his best to survive after the death of his girlfriend. Now a single father, he knows he can’t balance his hockey career and fatherhood without some help. When he reluctantly hires the nanny his sister selected, he never imagined the impact Kate would have on their lives. Kate’s spent years making sure she wasn’t noticed, although there’s something about Zack that has her removing her shields. When their relationship moves from professional to personal, Zack’s quick to point out that there can’t be anything more between them than a few hot nights although Kate’s determined to prove Zack’s capable of loving again.
 
I have a thing for nanny/employer romances—I blame it on Jane Eyre—so I did a little happy dance when I found this one in my Audible library. I’ve had it for a while (I’m pretty sure it was a review title, maybe?) and decided to give it a go and I’m so glad that I did.
 
There was a lot going on in this book emotionally. My heart broke for Zack and the emotional torture he put himself though. While he made some wankerish moves and tended to brood (not that I mind a broody man), Zack was still a decent guy who was hurting and unsure how to heal. Kate was a firecracker. I have to admire her determination. She knew that Zack was worth fighting for and nothing was going to stand in her way. I also liked how, even though she had little to her name, she wouldn’t ask him for anything. I also liked how Zack interacted with his son, Ben, and the connection that Kate and Ben formed.
 
Zack and Kate were great together. Of course, Zack fought it all the way until the end but their chemistry was amazing. I’m a little on the fence about whether to label this an instalust book or not. Yes, they were quick to act on their lustiness but there was an emotional connection as well. Either way, it was still a great romance that was believable in the way Zack was riding his rollercoaster of grief.
 
I feel like this was a nicely balanced sports romance. While it highlighted the world of pro hockey and what it meant to be one of the team, I feel that it still allowed the romance to be at the heart of the story.
 
This was my first time listening to Cris Dukehart and Graham Halstead and while I enjoyed both narrators, Cris Dukehart’s southern accent for Kate was just a bit too twangy for me. To me it sounded a little forced. Other than that, I enjoyed it.
 
Overall, this was a stellar romance that took me on a rollercoaster of emotions. I’m not a massive hockey fan—I’ll occasionally pick up the end of the game when waiting for something else—and yet I didn’t feel lost when reading this one.  
 
I’m eager to check out the other books in this series.

 


The Cold Fury Hockey Series

Alex #1

Garrett #2

Zack #3

Ryker #4

Hawke #5

Max #6

Roman #7

Lucas #8

Van #9

Reed #10

Marek #11


 

No comments: