Monday, February 24, 2020

My Heart's in the Highlands by Angeline Fortin


Sixty-eight seconds.

Can a life be lived in sixty-eight seconds? Can the love of a lifetime be discovered and lost in just a minute?

Mikah Bauer stepped into the street in front of the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art and found herself lost in a nightmare that became a dream come true when Ian Conagham, the Marquis of Ayr, appeared before her. Mikah found herself living another life, a fairy tale of love and passion such as she never imagined. Then came the nightmare that tore it all away as quickly as fate had handed it to her.
Publisher: Tantor Audio | Narrator: Kirsten Potter  | Length10 hrs and 47 mins | Genre: Time Travel Romance | Source: Audible Escape | Rating: 4 Cups

Challenges Read For:  - Audiobook Challenge  Literary Pickers  - Portrait

 
This one took me on an emotional rollercoaster and I loved every minute of it.
 
Here’s what’s going on. As the result of an accident, Mikah travels back in time to 19th century Scotland where she finds herself slipping into the life of recently widowed Hero. She also finds herself in the presence of Ian, the man who has captured her dreams since she was a child. As she falls for Ian, it soon becomes apparent that they’re in danger. Once again, Mikah finds her life spinning out of her control.
 
I’ve recently discovered Angeline Fortin and, while I enjoyed the first book I read by her (A Laird for all Time), this one is my favorite thus far.
 
Okay, so I’m not going to say too much about the plot in this one because I don’t want to spoil anything but, let me say, this is one of the better time travel romances that I’ve read lately.
 
One of the things that I enjoyed about is that that Mikah didn’t fight what was happening. She slid easily into Hero’s life as though it was second nature to her. Both Ian and Mikah/Hero were likable characters that I wanted to see succeed.
 
There were a few minor issues with one. I was hoping to receive a bit more clarity regarding what happened with Hero’s father. It also would have been nice to see more from Ian towards the end of the book. I would have also liked to have seen more of what happened at the end of the book.  There could have been a few more chapters added and I would not have minded in the least.
 
My Heart’s in the Highland’s reminded me a lot of Susanna Kearsley’s early writing. If you’re a fan of woman-in-jeopardy, slightly gothic tales that have a second chance, fated mate (without being a paranormal book) trope, then I think you’ll enjoy this one.
 
While Kirsten Potter did an outstanding job on the narration, I feel like this would have been balanced a bit better if there would have also been a male narrator. It would have added an extra bit of life to the audiobook.
 
Overall, even though it had a few minor problems, I was still blown away. An interesting take on time travel that had me hooked from the start.

No comments: