Friday, August 6, 2021

Friday Favorites: On My Telly: The Deceived

In this edition of Friday Favorites: On My Telly, I’ll be talking about The Deceived, a modern gothic thriller that’s kept me on the edge of my seat. If you want to know why I’m hooked on this show and why you should be watching it, keep on reading…



The Deceived
is a story about a young Cambridge student, Ophelia, who has an affair with her professor, Dr. Michael Callaghan. Discovering she’s pregnant, she goes to tell Michael the news only to discover he’s gone back to his hometown in Ireland. Deciding to track him down, she arrives only to discover Michael’s wife, Roisin, has died in a mysterious house fire. Convinced to stay at Knockdara House, his creepy ancestral home, Ophelia soon finds herself surrounded by Roisin’s things and wearing her clothes. As though that’s not creepy enough, strange noises are coming from Roisin’s office, her ghost keeps popping up in the garden, a psychic issued dire warnings, and there’s something off about Michael. 



 

 Dark, thrilling, and addictive The Deceived is a psychological thriller that’s been keeping me on the edge of my seat and constantly has me asking questions.

There’s a lot going in this four-part mini-series. Michael’s played around before. His wife has been aware of his misdeeds so when she dies in this mysterious fire at Knockdara house, the villagers are questioning how the fire started. When Ophelia arrives, it’s obvious to everyone she’s Michael’s new fling even though she pretends to be Roisin’s literary agent. As the days pass, and odd events start happening, you start questioning whether it’s paranormal, gaslighting, or if Roisin is still alive and, if she’s alive, whom did they bury.

This mini-series definitely has Jane Eyre, Rebecca, and The Wife Upstairs vibes, which is right up my alley. It also has a dark gothic atmosphere complete with a creepy ancestral house in the midst of a wild Irish wood.  

If you enjoyed the three books mentioned above, like dark academia, thrillers, or enjoy being an armchair sleuth, I think you’ll really enjoy this one. I have one episode left and I’m eager to see how things are wrapped up and if my predictions are correct. 



What have you been watching?

 

No comments: