Thursday, December 22, 2022

A Partridge And A Pregnancy by Willa Nash (Holiday Brother’s #3)

There are a lot of places I’d rather spend Christmas Eve morning than on a cold, snowy sidewalk outside someone else’s home. I’d kill to be sitting beside a fireplace, drinking cocoa, wearing flannel pajamas and reading a book.

Instead, I’m here, standing in front of my one-night stand’s house, working up the courage to ring the doorbell and tell him I’m pregnant.

I hate that term—one-night stand. It sounds so cheap and sleezy. Tobias Holiday is neither of those things. He’s handsome and caring. Witty and charismatic. And once, a long time ago, he was mine.

Our one-night reunion was only supposed to be a hookup. A fling with an old lover. A parting farewell before I moved to London and put my feelings for him an ocean away. How exactly am I supposed to explain that to Tobias that I’m having a baby? His baby? Maybe I could sing it. He always loved the silly songs I made up in the shower.

Three French hens, two turtledoves.

And a partridge and a pregnancy.

Series: Holiday Brothers #3 | Genre: Contemporary Romance | Source: Kindle Unlimited | Rating: 1 

 This was my least favorite in the series and, honestly, I almost DNF’d it before the first chapter was over. I started with the audio and was annoyed from the start (that was no fault of the narrators), so I switched the e-book and still annoyed.

The quick of it is: Tobias and Eva had a one-night stand (they have a history but this was her going away, saying goodbye one-night stand) now she’s pregnant and is getting ready to leave for London but he doesn’t want her to go but doesn’t want to force her to stay.

Yeah, I didn’t like this one from the start. Eva, couldn’t stand her and her annoying, self-centered ways. Tobias was okay, not my favorite Holiday brother, but he too became annoying. The entire book is basically one miscommunication: she wants him to ask her to say and he wants her to stay because she wants to not because he’s asking,*Cue Cheap Trick* yeah, that became old rather quickly.

I think this trilogy would have worked better had the three novellas been combined into one full-length book with each brother having alternating chapters. There’s a lot of repetition in each book as they all take place during the same timeframe. The epilogue, which takes place on the same night, one-year later, is pretty much the same in each book so you know what happened after reading the first one.

Overall, I was over this book before it even started and the fact that Eva was annoying didn’t help. Perhaps the Holidays should have only had two children…Like the others, this was very light on the Christmas vibe but it was exceedingly angst-filled.  I would say read the first two books and skip this one. 

No comments: