Friday, March 29, 2024

Fool Me Once (Netflix Series Review)

 This riveting eight-part psychological suspense series follows Maya Stern, a veteran who is seeking answers about the death of her sister and husband.  With an all-star cast, Fool Me Once will have you glued to your screen as each twist reveals a darker secret.




When Maya Stern sees her deceased husband on the nanny-cam and the babysitter attacks her rather than answering her questions, Maya soon finds herself looking into the dark, long-buried secrets of the Burkett family. With each secret that’s unburied, Maya discovers the connection between the Burkett’s and her sister’s murder. Will Maya be able to discover the truth about her husband and sister before the Burkett family discovers she’s searching for answers?




I’m going to start with a disclaimer, I’m not a massive fan of Harlan Coben’s novels (I just don’t get on with his writing style) but I do love the majority of the Netflix adaptations. I’ve been waiting, impatiently, for this one since it was first announced and, I have to say, I have no regrets.

 

This was a very layered series. Maya’s a former special ops pilot and her military career ended due to questionable choices she made during her last mission. While overseas, her sister was murdered in what seemed to be a robbery but Maya, as well as her niece and nephew, feel that there was more to the story. When Maya’s husband, Joe Burkett, is murdered but is seen weeks later on the nanny-cam, she finds herself going down a dangerous road as she uncovers the many secrets of the powerful Burkett family.

 

Each episode reveals just enough information about Maya’s life, Joe’s mysterious appearance, Maya’s sister’s mystery, and the tangled web of the Burkett family that both satisfies you and leaves you wanting more.

 

While the series was wrapped up nicely, I do feel as though there’s a few plot holes I would have liked filled (I’m not going to reveal anything as I don’t want to spoil the series). I also feel certain characters weren’t developed to their full potential.

 

The casting was spot on. Richard Armitage (Joe Burkett) carries a dark, broodiness that was perfect for the mysterious Joe Burkett. Michelle Keegan (Maya Stern) is this non-stoppable force to be reckoned with that exploded to life. Joanna Lumley (Judith Burkett) is the classy, graceful powerhouse that will destroy you with a smile on her face. The remaining cast shone as well.

 

Overall, I highly recommend watching this series. I think there’s a little something for everyone but fans of psychological suspense, mysteries, and/or British police procedurals will love this one.

 

No comments: