Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Day of the Dragon by Katie MacAlister

Real scholars know that supernatural beings don't exist. But the moment I meet Archer Andras of the Storm Dragons, all my academic training goes out the window. Thanks to Mr. Tall, Dark, And Infuriating, I'm learning that I really should worry about those things that go bump in the night. . . and that dragons like Archer are 100 percent pure trouble.

Now I'm caught in the middle of a war. On one side is Archer. On the other is his twin brother. And I am the key to translating an ancient text that could bring balance-or deadly ruin-to our world. But none of that is as dangerous as the seriously sexy sparks between Archer and me. He's too tempting to be real. Too gorgeous to trust. And when it comes to dragons, there's no smoke without deadly fire.
 
Series: Dragon Hunter 2 | Publisher:  Forever |  Genre: Paranormal Romance  | Source: Publisher  | Rating: 3

Challenges Read For:  - Bad Boys of Romance Literary Pickers  Throw Rug/Blanket -
 
I always have such a good time with MacAlister’s dragons and Day of the Dragon was no exception.
 
When Thaisa accidentally sells an ancient text her boss wanted to keep, she’s determined to get it back before her boss harms her grandmother. She never expected her search to lead her straight into the arms of a dragon and into the middle of a ferocious dragon war. Now that Archer’s found his mate, he’s not going to let her go but time’s running out and the battle is raging around them. Will Thaisa be able to solve the text before Archer and the rest of the Storm Dragons are destroyed?
 
I really liked Thaisa. She’s a bit quirky, tends to ramble when she’s nervous, and I’m never really sure what she’s going to say. She also carries the Poliosis gene, which has caused her to have white streaks in her hair and eyelashes and oddly colored eyes, and she’s had some issues with self-confidence because of it. Archer is the Master of the Storm Dragon’s so he’s oozing alpha dragon vibes, which I rather enjoyed. He’s also a bit mysterious so I was never really sure what his game plan was.
 
Archer and Thaisa was such a fun couple and they definitely had a boatload of chemistry that was bounding off the page. My only problem with their romance was that it was an instalust/instalove romance. With paranormal romances, I expect the instalove due to the fated mates plot device, but this one just felt a tad bit too rushed. I would have liked to have seen Archer and Thaisa interact a bit more before falling head-over-heels. I was also hoping Thaisa would become a bit more comfortable in her own skin and lose her jealous streak.
 
The mystery/suspense in this one had me guessing until the end and, once revealed, the character’s actions made sense. I still would have liked to have had more buildup rather than just dumping everything at the end but it still worked.
 
While I did enjoy this book, I feel like this one faltered a bit compared the first one. This one was a bit rushed and lacked the world building Memoirs of a Dragon Hunter had, which surprised me. I also felt like some of the sex scenes were just out of place.
 
Overall, I still enjoyed this one. Archer and Thaisa were a perfect fit—he with his demands and her ignoring him while rambling about something trivial—and made for an interesting read. It’s not as well-rounded as the first book in the series but I still think it was a great addition.



Dragon Hunter Series
Day of the Dragon

No comments: