Monday, August 10, 2015

Baby's Got Bite by Candace Havens



Some consequences bite...big time.
 
Bennett Langdon has a firm no-relationships policy. Still, it doesn't stop her from hooking up with a super-sexy bad boy at her best friend's wedding. After all, it's only one night-what harm could it do? Ten weeks later, a pregnant Bennett has her answer...
 
Linc Monahan can't believe it. This wasn't supposed to happen. He's a werewolf, and shouldn't be able to father a child with a human. Now Linc has to find some way to tell Bennett that not only do werewolves exist, but she's about to have a baby with one.
 
But when word of their surprise conception gets out, the fur hits the fan. There are people who don't want this baby to be born-even if it means killing. Now Bennett and Linc aren't just fighting each other...they're fighting for their lives.
 
Title: Baby's Got Bite | Series: Take It Like A Vamp #2 | Author: Candance Havens | Publisher: Entangled Covet | Release Date: July 28, 2015 | Genre: Contemporary PNR | Source: Publisher | Rating: 3.5

Baby’s Got Bite was the first book I’ve read by Candace Havens and it’s also my first venture into Entangled’s Covet imprint. This is the second book in the Take It Like A Vamp series and while I didn’t feel like I missed out on a lot by having not read it, I think a few things may have been cleared up if I had.
 
So, here’s what’s going on. Bennett (love that the author chose a different name for the heroine) and Linc (a sexy, Irish werewolf) hooked up at Nick and Casey’s wedding. Bennett think’s Linc is just some playboy fashion designer but when she discovers she’s pregnant with his baby, Linc confesses that’s he’s a werewolf. Not only does Bennett have to get used to having a baby a with a werewolf, she has to get used to relying on someone, and to top it all off she’s dealing with the fact that she is also a supernatural being.
 
I’m a bit on the fence about this one to be honest. I really liked it but it wasn’t what I was expecting and the heroine wasn’t one of my favorites.
 
I loved the hero, Linc. He’s a top fashion designer, a member of the supernatural council, and pretty much an all-around good guy. While he’s ready and willing to support Bennett and their child, having lost his family he’s not ready to give his heart to Bennett but that doesn’t stop him from caring for her and their unborn child. And when something threatens to take her away from him, he’s going to fight to keep her by his side.
 
Bennett was hard to like. From the start, she’s all ‘I-don’t-do-commitment-I-just-want-a-shag-and-nothing-more’, so while it wasn’t a surprise that she constantly went against Linc, it became annoying. Especially when she decided she wanted him there to comfort her but when he started growing closer to her she would freak out and call him a controlling asshole. I know she has some daddy issues, but she really could have grown up a bit.
 
The chemistry was a bit hit and miss, at times it heated up then others it kind of felt like Linc would have had better chemistry with a sheet of sandpaper.
 
While there’s a lot of talk about the workings of the supernatural council and the dynamics of the different paranormals, which I loved, I was surprised that Linc never shifted during the entire book. Also it was never really clarified what type of werewolf he was and I was expecting some sort of explanation considering that he’s referred to as some ‘weird Irish version’ of a werewolf.
 
There was more emphasis on what type of supernatural being Bennett was and her coming to terms with it, which I totally expected but I would have liked to have seen it balanced out with Linc’s story as well.
 
I also would have liked to have seen a bit more of the Irish brogue brought out in Linc. There’s an occasional ‘lass’ thrown in and a few ‘ayes’ but the Irish dialect is really limited. I would read a few a chapters and forget that he was Irish until Bennett called him ‘Irish’.  
 
Overall, I liked this book. Even though it didn’t live up to its potential, it was still a witty, quick little read.



Take It Like A Vamp Series
# 2 Baby’s Got Bite

No comments: